The Brothers live among the prisoners in communities in different prisons and this in three countries. Communities grow in lots of orphanages.
On 25th Jan. 1839 V. Scheppers founded the Congregation of the Brothers of our Holy Mary of Mercy in Mechelen (Belgium).
From the 16th February 1841 till the 23th 1862 the Brother community existed amongst 800 prisoners in the prison of Vilvoorde in Belgium.
From the 13th June 1843 till the 1th September the Brother community existed amongst 800 prisoners in the military prison of Aalst (Belgium).
From the 13th July till the 20th 1872 the Brother community existed amongst 1000 prisoners in the military prison of Gent (Belgium).
From the 22th of April 1844 till the 6th October 1878 the Brothers of the community Saint-Aloysius of Gonzaga took care of the accompaniment and the education of young delinquents in Saint-Hubert (Belgium).
From the 1th April 1849 till the 30th September the Brothers took care of the senior people in Oliveten (Mechelen-Belgium).
From the 1th April 1849 till the 18th September 1881 the Brothers opened a day school as well as a Sunday school in Oliveten (Mechelen-Belgium)
The 5th of October 1851 the Brothers opened the Motherhouse The Pensionnat of Saint-Vincent de Paul. From the 21th of November 1851 non-resident pupils were welcomed as well. That was the start of what we still know nowadays as the Scheppersinstitute in Mechelen (Belgium). Nowadays they also have an infant school, a primary school and a secondary school. In 2018 the institute has 1311 pupils and 144 staff members.
In 1956 the community of Scheppers had 30 Brothers. 53 of the old pupils coming from the different Scheppers schools in Mechelen, joined the congregation.
From the 29th January 1854 till the 1th of February 1878 the Brothers formed a community in the Saint Balbina prison in Rome.
On the 9the of September 1854 V. Scheppers founded the Sisters of Our Holy Mary of Mercy in Mechelen (Belgium).
From the 23th of April 1855 till 1872 the Brothers formed a community in the Saint Michaels prison in Rome.
From the 2nd of July till the 1st of August 1866 the Brothers conducted the orphan children in the Saint-Anna orphanage in Perugia (Italy).
From the 4th of July 1855 till 1869 the Brothers of the community “The Immaculate Conception”, took care of the young delinquents in Brock Green (Great Britain).
From the 29th of April 1856 till the 31st of October 1874, the Brothers of the community “The Holy apostles Peter and Paul” worked in the Termini prison in Rome.
From the 29th of September 1857 till.... the friars in the Mary Orphanage, took care of the education of the orphan children in North-Hyde (Great - Britain)
On the 19th of August 1858 the Brothers opened the Pia School at the Piazza Pia. Because of urbanization reasons, that school building was broken down. The school found a new accommodation in the building of the Vatican at “the Saint Peter’s square” in Rome. That was the beginning of the present Pio IX-Institute.
From the 9th of March 1859 till the first of October 1861 the Brothers took care of the education of orphan children in Medicina (Italy). The Community of the “Holy Hearts of Jesus and Mary” was connected with the Villa Fontana orphanage.
The 27 th of August 1861, the Brothers opened “The Pensionnat Saint-Victor” in Alsemberg (Belgium).That was the start of the recent “Saint-Victor Institute that nowadays includes three infant schools, three primary schools, a denominational education and a secondary school. Outside Alsemberg, there is also a Scheppers primary school in Beersel and in Dworp. In 2018 the Institute had 1847 pupils in general in the three settlements and it counts 161 staff members.
In 1956 the community of Saint- Victor had 36 Brothers. Seven ancient pupils joined the congregation.
From the 2nd of February 1863 till the 10th of September 1892, the Brothers worked in the lunatic asylum “Our Holy Lady of grieves” in Rome.
From the 1st of August 1868 till 1916, the Brothers conducted the agricultural school “Vigna Pia” in Rome.
From the 13th of April 1869 till 1919, the Brothers conducted the Saint-Libertus School in Mechelen (Belgium). Six ancient pupils joined the congregation.
From the 29th of June 1869 till the 22nd of September 1873, the Brothers were active in the municipal orphanage “Our Holy Mary ter Snow” in Rome.
In 1869 the accompaniment of young delinquents in Brock Green (Great-Britain) was transferred to East- Ham.
From the 4th of September 1871 till the 15th of October 1878, the Brothers of “The Pénitencier Saint-Aubin”(as the second settlement of Saint-Hubert) took care of the accompaniment of young delinquents in Namen (Belgium)
From the 1st of July 1872, the Brothers worked in the old people‘s home “Saint-Gregorius” in Rome. In 1876 this was transferred to Saint-Fransisca-Romana and later, in 1877, this was transferred to saint- Gommarus and Damianus where the s remained till June 1890.
From the 8th of August 1876 till.., the Brothers were active in the Professional School Saint-Nicolas in Ilford (Great-Britain).
From the 3th of February 1879 till.., the Brothers worked in a Professional School in Hammersmith (Great-Britain).
On The 20th of September 1879, the Brothers opened the orphanage “Saint-Barbara” in Wetteren (Belgium). This became the recent Scheppers Institute with infant School, primary school, technical school and horticultural school. In Wetteren ten Ede, there is a second settlement for primary school. In 2018, the Institute had 1571 pupils in both settlements and 242 staff members.
In 1956 the community of Saint Barbara had 22 Brothers. 21 ancient pupils of Saint-Barbara itself and 2 of Saint-Peter joined the congregation.
From the 25th of April 1879 till the 20th of August 1887, the Brothers were active in the primary school Saint-Jacques in Braine l’ Alleud (Belgium). Two ancient pupils joined the congregation.
From the 22nd of September 1879 till 1985, the Brothers governed the Saint-Aloysius College in Highgate in Great-Britain. In 1956 there were 12 Brothers in the community.
From the 27th of September till the 1st of September 1959 the Brothers were active in the primary school “Our Holy Lady over the “Dijle” in Mechelen (Belgium).
From the 1st of October 1879 till..., the Brothers were active in the free parochial school in Alsemberg (Belgium).
From the 26th of January 1880 till the 27th of August 1891, the Brothers worked in the primary school “Our Holy Lady in Meerle (Belgium). Two ancient pupils joined the congregation.